Saturday, December 8, 2007

An Amazing Night...Ends in the ER.

Last night was our ward Christmas dinner and for the first time in 2.5 years Seth was able to come! He has always either been working or at school, and had always come to help clean up after, BUT this time he was able to be with us for the dinner & everything! It was so fun to sing Christmas carols together and watch the amazing traditional Nativity Scene performed by the adorable primary. It was all going so perfect...

Fernando (Seth's old boss) & his wife Julie were able to come as well! It was more than a treat to have them there. Fernando is one of the most amazing people we've ever met. Seth has a special place in his heart for him. :)


Nicci found her friend 'Bennett' and they walked hand-in-hand throughout the church & all around the gym. It was hilarious! Bennett has took a liking to Nicci ever since her surgery and they've become pretty good pals. So precious.











...Everything was going so perfect until the end. Seth, Mom, & Dad were helping clean up and i was talking to some friends. My mom had just said to me, "Brandi, where's Nicci?" I told her that I had just talked to some 11 year old girls that wanted to play with her and they were with her in the gym...and i assumed everything to be fine. Mom told me i better go find her but i brushed it off, and continued talking...Not long after that one of our friends came running through the door with our precious Nicci and blood was dripping down her mouth. She ran her into the kitchen where Seth, mom, and i followed. Our friend handed her to me and told us what happened. Nicci had climbed up the stairs to the stage ... and fell off, head first. I can't even write this without crying... After everything she has been through... Because i was off 'chatting with my friends' my daughter took a head dive off the stage onto the wood floor. She bit her lip as she fell and took a good chunk out of it but the very worst was her head. The whole left side of her head was swelling right before our eyes. We held ice on her mouth & head and then decided she needed to go to the hospital and get a CT scan. We rushed right to the ER and were surprised to see that they took us back immediately. Mom & Dad were right behind us and Seth & Dad gave Nics a blessing. It was so comforting for me to watch my husband's hands & my father's hands on top of my baby girl's head. Even though Seth, Mom, & Dad were comforting me & telling me i wasn't responsible, it felt like they were just echoing around me. I sat there watching our dear helpless Nicci screaming because of the neck brace and the undeserved pain she was feeling, and my head was swimming with guilt...I still can't believe i wasn't watching her...assuming that she was "playing with the kids"...she's 18 months! What was i thinking? We are the most careful, paranoid, OVER protective, parents...and I, her mother, was responsible for her while everyone else cleaned up, not the cute kids playing with her...she was my ONLY priority...and worse than ever, i failed. ... The Dr. came in and looked at her and gave her a CT Scan of the brain & neck. After what seemed like an eternity the results came back good! He said she had a minor concussion but should recover ok. The swelling seems to be getting worse though, but we're hoping that's normal. Today her entire left side of her head, even her eye, has almost doubled in size from last night, and it's really squishy where the swelling is. She will be seeing her pediatrician on Monday, and we are calling her Dr. in Salt Lake as well. We are praying all will be ok. It's amazing how the Lord protects his dear children while teaching their mother's very important lessons. She is such a tough little girl. Nicci has been through so much and yet always finds things to be happy about. She's our little miracle.

Major lesson learned...never let your most treasured & prized possession out of your sight...not even for a moment.


18 comments:

Janssen said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Nicci - I'm praying she makes a quick recovery!!

Aly Porter said...

Aww...sweetie! I am sooo sorry about what happened to Nicci! :( I hope that she gets to feeling better! :) I miss you! I wish I could have been there for you guys! You are always in our prayers! :)

MY LITTLE DANTIES said...

YOUR IN MY PRAYERS HONEY. I HOPE EVERYTHING COMES OUT OK. IF YOU NEED ANYTHING PLEASE CALL ME. POOR NIC GIVE HER A KISS FOR ME. DONT BE TO HARD ON YOURSELF. REMEMBER KIDS FALL AND GET HURT AND MOMMIES ARE THERE TO KISS IT BETTER. LOVE YA GIRL

Ashley Clark said...

Brandi, this is not your fault! Kids get curious, wander off, and fall all of the time. She is tough and you guys are great parents. I'll keep your family in our prayers. Please keep us posted.

Sherrelle said...

OH my goodness, this is totally not your fault at all sometimes bad things happen no matter what we do... I will keep her in our prayers though and hope that everything turns out as I am sure it will!!!

Shelise said...

Gosh now that I am a mother these things make me cry when I read about them. So sorry this had to happen. Just the way you are reacting shows how much you love and care about her. I hope everything is going better.

AnnEE said...

Poor baby, and poor parents! I have so many friends who have had bad things like that happen....I guess it's some sort of learning experience/right of passage. Keep us posted on how she is!

Erica said...

Hey Brandi! We're glad you found our blog! I'm so sorry about your little girl- she's adorable.

Jensen Family said...

So...I know how you feel since Kaden just got 8 stitches and I watched him fall! It's a horrible feeling. I love you guys. Give me a call soon so we can chat it up!

Amber and David said...

Omigoodness! I'm on the verge of tears! I'm so sorry about Nicci! I'm glad she's okay. Try not to be too hard on yourself, a parent can't possibly protect their child from everything. I know it's easy for us to tell you not to blame yourself, easier said than done, right? I hope she gets feeling better!

The Foote Family said...

Awww, Brandi! I am so sorry that your sweet little angel girl fell. I was checking out your blog and saw that top picture of you guys at your Christmas party and I was thinking about how adorable you guys are, and then I read on and I felt SO sad to hear what happened to Nicci. I really hope and pray that everything is going better. Honestly- don't blame yourself--I can tell you are a amazing mother by how much you love your little girl.

BrittWilk said...

Brandi, I'm so sorry to hear about Nicci! I'll keep her in my prayers! I'm sure she'll be just fine. :)

We are... said...

I have been trying to think of what to say! But there's nothing that can make it all better. Like many said, we can all tell you love her very much. She looked adorable in her Christmas dress and you all looked so cute together as a family. I'm sorry this happened to you. What a nightmare for a mother to go through. My mom went through something like this with my little sister JaNae and I remember the HUGE rush of emotions. I know we as women blame ourselves a lot, but you are a great mom and unfortunately, we can't protect children from EVERYTHING. I'm sure the Lord wishes He could just take pain away from us as well...but agency affects us all. I hope you will forgive yourself. I pray that she will be okay! Love ya!

Becca said...

Oh my gosh Brandi... I don't even have a baby yet and this made me want to cry just because of all that this poor baby has been through. Wow. I'm just so glad you're such a wonderful mother and that you are a close family - heaven knows we need about 120% more families like you.

The Kyles said...

Hi, Brandi! I really hope that your daughter is doing better!! She is such cute and strong baby! I'm sure she will be fine in no time. :D

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh! Your poor family! It's such a hard thing to see you child hurt or sick, but just like other people have said, you can't blame yourself! I can tell that you're great parents and love her so much! Kids get hurt sometimes, and unfortunately some get hurt worse than others. It's amazing what a priesthood blessing can do, and I'll also pray that she will recover and be okay! P.S. I'm so glad you found me too, sorry I haven't been able to comment back yet!

Taralee said...

Gosh, I was totally tearing up reading it. I'll keep you guys in my prayers and I hope you'll post as soon as all the swelling goes down or you year anything. I know a lot of other people have mentioned this, but you can't be there to stop all the bad things happen. Kids are kids and they get hurt, so I hope you can realize that you didn't do anything wrong. I'm sure she's a tuff little one and she'll pull through! Good luck!

thegatewoodfamily said...

Brandi, I was so sad to read that story, but accidents happen and they teach us. Nicci is a strong girl (look at all she has been through) Brandon and I will keep you all in our prayers. Please let me know if there is anything you need.I mean it girly anything at all.