Sunday, March 8, 2009

"Mommy Wow! I'm a Big Kid Now!"

Around the Ras household these days, two major accomplishments have been made that i feel worthy of mentioning. The first one being: our adorable Nicci is finally potty trained!! She loves her "pee pee in the potty dance" and had only 3 accidents during her 'training period', you might call it. Seth woke up one day and said, "No more diapers! You're a big girl now." I wondered if she was ready but he insisted that she was, and he couldn't have been more right! We are SO proud of her and her determination to learn! Congrats Nicci!!


The second thing has to do with me. :) Many of you know i quit my job at Outback. It was one of the best decisions i have ever made. Lately i have really embraced being a wife and mother and know that that's the most important thing in my life now, and forever...and i want to be good at it! I want to raise Heavenly Father's children to be the best they can be and to support my husband in every way...including yes, even the bane of my existence, cooking. So today, March 8 2009, i made dinner, on my own, for my family for the first time in almost 4 years of marriage. It was the most incredible feeling...the food ended up cold and it didn't look too appetizing, but it was made with love and the two most beautiful people in my life were so grateful and supportive. Some people would probably be embarrassed to admit the first time they had ever cooked for their family was almost 4 years into their marriage, but i'm not. I've fought it for so long, and now as i've made the small decision to cook for my family i've been blessed with the strength to learn how to cook and enjoy it. I'm going to fail sometimes in the cooking area, i know that. But i know i wont fail in helping my family come closer together and making my husband smile with each and every meal. :) It will only make me stronger, my family happier, and in the end, someday, i'll know how to cook and be good at it! I've watched my mother cook meals for my dad almost all my life, and when i hear my dad talk about how special something as simple as dinner was to him, and see the joy it brought my mom just by serving my father and her children every day and night with simple meals, it makes me want to give my family the love and unity she provided me with while growing up. So i'm doing it. I'm cooking meals for my lovely family everyday, and i'm so excited to do so! Nothing is more gratifying than seeing the smiles on their faces...and knowing that i helped put them there. :)

Mac n Cheese, Broccoli, Carrots, and Grilled Cheese sandwiches with marinara sauce. (Nicci calls them 'Pizza Sandwhichs') It's a start!!
The two beautiful people who make my world go round.

16 comments:

Megan said...

Yay Brandi! Awesome accomplishments. I haven't even thought about potty training Maggie...I'm too scared. So, its good to hear that your smart little Nicci did it! And about cooking, it always gave me hope that my mom told me when she got married all she could make was chili dogs--cook some hot dogs and open a can of chili. I always thought that moms knew everything before they got married, but they didn't. They just figured it out like we have to. The pizza sandwhiches sound yumm-o. I'm gonna try that.

lacie tidwell said...

YEAH!!!! Give Nicci a HUGE hug for me! I'm so proud of her! What a big girl! (and yeah no diapers for you to change- woohoo!) I'm counting the days down of Hailyn being out of diapers- but ya know it'll come beofre I know it!I'm proud of you too girlie! Embracing being a wife and mom- it is the hardest/most rewarding job in the world! (and your hubby and kiddo are lucky to have you miss!) Anyhow, I never really cooked for Ryan but I now have ten or so EASY EASY recipes (cause I don't really cook- if it takes longet than ten minutes I'm out) SUPER easy- low key- here's my newest fav recipe-chicken tortilla soup is Ryan's new fav and is soo easy- if you want to try it: buy chicken broth 32 oz (Swanson's or whatever chicken broth you want) buy a rotisserie chicken, tear the meat off, cut it off, 1 jar of salsa (I use Trader Joes roasted garlic) add 1/2 bag tortilla chips, some cheese- a cup or two (I use cheddar, you can also use the mexican blend) a can of corn-dranied, a can of black beans undrained and drop it all in a large pot and let it heat up for fifteen minutes or so (simmering- just let it get hot:) don't let it boil) top it with chips, or sour cream, or cheese or whatever you want- easy easy tasty and takes five minutes to do- and there are usually leftovers- try it out if you want! It's very yummy- honey-I miss you! We have to get together soon!!!!! Love ya!

Sammy said...

Don't worry cooking is a process for all of us. You'll get better! Go Nicci for being PTed!! What a little star. Glad you are finally updating again!

Janssen said...

I really think the key to good cooking is just practice. You start to get a feel after a while for how to time things and what things you can fudge. You'll be a pro in no time!

Becca said...

Good job Nicci!!! You are such a big, beautiful girl!!! We are so proud of you. Brandi and Seth we are excited for you too!! It will be so nice not to be changing her diapers!!!
I honestly don't really enjoy cooking...but it does get easier. If you want any fast easy recipes let me know...they are my favorite too. You already look like a pro to me! Being a wife and mother is so rewarding, challenging, demanding, fun....I know that Heavenly Father helps us as we try to serve our families! Thanks for reminding me how important our responsibilities are! We love you guys!

Emily Rasmussen said...

Way to go Nicci! We are going to make Bridger and Angi potty train next week during spring break. I hope I can a have post like this soon! :O) To be diaper free would be fabulous!!!! And your dinner looks great!!! Cooking lately has been a major core for me. Your post makes me want o do it with more love! Bridger just pointed to the pic of your dinner and exclaimed "yummy food! delicious!" :) Love you guys!

Lindsay said...

That's so great that you're done with the dreaded potty training with Nicci!! That's my least favorite part!
Good for you for quitting your job, and on cooking dinner! It's one thing to just cook something simple for yourself, but when you have to cook for the whole family, it's a whole different thing! I have lots of easy recipes too, and I can always come show you how to make them if you'd like too! I'm so glad you're back in the blogging world!

Heather said...

Yay for being Potty Trained! Doesnt it feel like such an accomplishment. And, I've been married for almost 7 years and I STILL dont cook dinner that often... But, when I do it feels pretty good! I have a TON of recipe blogs that I look at, let me know if you want the links!

Anonymous said...

Well done girl! I am very porud of you! It looks awesome!

Cyndi said...

Brandi, I am so proud of you. Cooking is no easy task especially if you have been putting off. I love to cook but I didn't always and still don't always. I'll give you one of my secrets that seems to pull me out of a slump. Put the radio in the kitchen, turn it to whatever your in to and then keep it in there while you cook. Sometimes when cooking becomes a chore I get really frustrated but if I put on some tunes and get out of my funk...I am a much better cook. One other little tid bit of advice...don't walk away and if you have to, set timers. Let me know if you need help with anything. I also have my food blog if you want a few good recipes foodiscynful.blogspot.com
GOODLUCK and I LOVE YOU!

Lindzie said...

You know what's awesome about having such great friends? Them sharing all their secrets with you! I'm glad you cooked! By the way, it looks really good. It's nice to have a supportive little family to eat your food, even if it's not up to par. I know I appreciate my husband's willingness to eat my food even when it has been burned or otherwise inedible. :) Keep up the good work with trying to cook. Tell Nicci "congrats" on being such a big girl too!

Kirsten said...

Yeah for BOTH Rasmussen girls!!! That is so great for both of you!!! Nicci is so big! She needs to stop growing before I get a chance to see her again! ;-)

And seriously way to go on the good looking, well balanced meal! You did great!! My best friend in the kitchen is our crockpot. You just dump it in, it cooks the food and your house smells delicious all day. You can't go wrong! I can't wait to see more of your meals! That's awesome!Love you guys!

Jensen Family said...

I feel your pain... I am not a huge fan of cooking, but luckily Travis likes to so we trade off! Congrats on potty training... I start on Sadie soon and I am not looking forward to it!

familyof4 said...

Good job Brandi, and way to go Nicci! Lauren always already started saying to me..
"Uh oh mama, pee-pee" and grabbing her diaper so I might potty train her soon. We'll see.

I've been married for 7 years and I'm still not a huge fan of cooking. I'd just rather eat out. HAHA! However, I have found making dinner using the crockpot is something I can handle and it's a lot easier to clean up.

Lauren saw Nicci's picture on the side of your blog and said "Hi Baby (everyone is baby right now)so I told her that her that was Nicci. She then said back."Hi Mimi"...how cute!

Molly said...

I hate cooking too:) I fight the guilt of not cooking for Andrew ALL OF THE TIME! haha:) I'm glad you have a good attitude about it!

The Foote Family said...

That is awesome Brandi! Way to go on the potty training Nicci. Wow, I can't wait...how old is she now? (I am going to start counting down in my head for around when Sarah's day will come haha) That is so good. Also, way to be for quiting Outback to be a full time mother. High five for making such a good decision.