Tuesday, February 12, 2008

"1 Year" Since Nicci's Surgery

One year ago...right now...we were sitting in the waiting room at Primary Children's Hospital while our dear Nicci had surgery on her skull. Most of you know this...but for those of you who don't we'll give you a quick synopsis: When Nicci was born she had Craniosynostosis, specifically Metopic Synostosis. We took her to Dr.s here in Vegas because we knew something was wrong because her head was shaped like a football, but after tests and CT Scans they simply diagnosed her wrong and said she was fine, and sent us on our way. So we ignored the Dr.s and took her to Primary Children's Hospital in SLC to see the Dr.s there. Sure enough she had what we thought, Metopic Synostosis and if we would have waited another year she would have been blind and suffered forms of brain damage. After seeing the CT scans (the previous Dr.'s had taken) they performed immediate surgery. It was the scariest thing we had ever been through. We can't believe that one year ago we were sitting in the waiting room at Primary Children's Hospital with my parents for 7 long hours...waiting...and waiting...for our dear daughter to be out of surgery. When i gave Nicci a hug this morning my legs went completely weak as i remembered handing her over to the Anesthesiologist and watching her scream as she said, "Mama!" for the FIRST time. As the Dr. walked through the big white doors with Nicci, i slid down the wall in tears as Seth held me in his arms while we cried together. I remember thinking i'd never see my daughter again. We went back to the waiting room where Mom & Dad were waiting for us. We spent the next 7 hours waiting for phone calls from the operating room and Seth played some weird Donkey Kong Nintendo game they had set up to pass the time. Mom and Dad offered words of comfort and kept us thinking the best for all 7 hours; i don't know what we would have done without them.
.....and then finally....
In walked Nicci's Dr! He told us she was in the PICU and that we could go back and see her in 30 min. I felt like jello...my brain was flooded with so much emotion. She was ok...Heavenly Father had watched over our little angel and she was ok! During surgery they cut her from ear to ear and reconstructed the entire front of her skull and then reconstructed her eye sockets AND her eyebrow ridges. She had 9 IV's in her little body, 4 blood transfusions, and was in the intensive care unit for a week. It took a while for her to recover but she is looking SO good 1 year later! My parents were with us every step of the way, from Dr.s appts, to surgery, and all through recovery, they were there loving, supporting, and helping to build our little family into an indestructible unit! We learned and grew so much closer during this difficult and frightening time. Nicci has since had surgery on her eyes and is recovering very well from that as well. She will only have 1 more surgery in two years and then she should be done! If the Dr.s would have caught her condition when she 3 months old it would have been such an easy procedure with minimal scaring and NO follow up surgeries. (Darn the dumb dr.s here...grrr) But she is AMAZING, and SUCH a strong little girl, even when her eyes were swollen shut she would point in the direction of laughter or talking, and jabber along with everyone doing the same. We all learned first hand that 'what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger'! Nicci is such a perfect example to us. We are so very blessed to have such a remarkable little girl, but we are even more blessed to have such a loving Father in Heaven who is always there for us...no matter what.


-----After a couple of days they finally took off her bandages-----











----Here are the slideshows of her surgery----




The BEFORE and AFTER pictures of her head.











We thank our Heavenly Father every day for our precious Nicole Debra. This has been one of the best years of our lives...not the easiest but definitely the very best!

"Walk by faith and the way will be opened up"

13 comments:

Janssen said...

How thrilling that it all has worked out.

When my little brother had brain surgery, the doctor in Vegas said he should have surgery somewhere else because there was no one qualified in Nevada. Scary.

Brandi Lyn said...

It's so sad that there's not more qualified Dr.s here. Not everyone can afford to go out of state for extensive surgeries! We were so blessed to have such amazing insurance.

Cynthia said...

Man that breaks my heart to see those pictures! You guys are so strong. Isn't it crazy how fast time goes.

Karolyn said...

Thanks for sharing your story-what an incredible blessing. My heart broke for you as I read but I am glad everything has worked out! She is such a beautiful little girl!

Erica said...

Ok, can I just tell you how sad that post was. I was totally in tears :( I'm so glad she's doing well. She's adorable! Also, I wanted to tell you that I was looking on my friend Jen's blog, and looked at one of her friends blogs... ya know- it just keeps getting deeper into the blog world. Anyway, her friend Lindzie (Head) had your blog on hers. I just thought it was super funny that it brought me in a total circle! WOW! Hope you can understand all that!

Sammy said...

Thanks for making me ball like a baby! Thanks for sharing you story... you know how close it hits to home for me. I'm so glad Nicci is such a strong darling little girl. You're a great mom, Brandi!

familyof4 said...

Hi, I just found your blog from Shelise's. I sang with Seth in H.S.

I'm so glad to see your daughter is doing SO well. Surgery is a very scary thing. As I was reading about your experience I was flooded with emotions because my little girl at 3 months had to have open heart surgery! I remember handing over my little girl and just crying thinking the same thing as you, that I would never see her again. I'm SO grateful for prayer and blessings. We had her surgery in Sunrise Hospital with an EXCELLENT Children's Cardiologist Team. We looked at going to UCLA, Salt Lake, and Maryland. My husband's family has a few members in the medical profession so we made SURE we had the best, and if we had to go out of town we would have. And from the other comment from you we had AMAZING insurance as well and could have gone anywhere we wanted. We were planning on having her surgery at 6 months but she was very sick and not gainning ANY weight...she was barely 7 lbs at 3 months! Well, that was a novel! I'll have to post about her experience when the 2 year anniversary hits.
I'm glad your daughter is doing awesome and all is well.


I'm sure you know my extended family (Wood's, Hasting's, Busby's)

Here's my blog if you want to check it out.
http://wood-family01.blogspot.com/

We are... said...

I'm so glad that you can be grateful for your trials and how they have brought your family together. That really shows something about you and that the Lord knew you would turn to Him more. :O)I'm glad Nicci is okay and that your family is doing so well...It really is amazing how those trials bring us together as families. Thank you for sharing.

Ashley Clark said...

Happy 1 year Nicci. So glad you are doing so well.

familyof4 said...

Luckily she won't need any other surgeries. Her surgery was a bit complicated once they started. The hole was A Lot larger then they had anticipated. So surgery took 4 hours instead of 1! The biggest scare for me was knowing they were stopping her heart, hooking it up on bypass and then getting it to start again. No complications there. Thank Goodness.

David and Maggi said...

You guys are such troopers. To have smiles on your faces throughout all of that is amazing. Nicci sure is worth it though...she is so sweet.

Sherrelle said...

OK you are amazing I don't know how I could have done that... Your little girl is a trooper too a beautiful one at that!!!

Chels&steveadventure said...

p`meHi, I am suspicious that my little 9 month old has the same thing. Im not able to get into the Dr until Sept 2 so I have been doing my own investigation through the internet. I Googled image search and your blog and photo of your beautiful little girl came up. When did you first notice something wasnt right with her head? And how old was she when she had the surgery? I want to talk to someone about it but none of my friends or family have ever heard of it before.....Help!!! You seem like a wonderful person.
I also noticed that you are LDS, I am too! Its a small world.
You can email at chelseapierson@yahoo.com
Hope to hear from you soon,
Chelsea