Friday, January 18, 2008

Exhaustion Turns Into Tender Joy

Lately i have been so tired that makeup literally won't even stay on my eyes. We have been waiting forever for Nicci to get more than 5 teeth...she's almost 2 for heaven sakes! :) We've taken her to the dentist and they told us because of all the trauma she's gone through it can be normal for the teeth to be delayed as a result. Well...it's true, they were delayed, but now she's catching UP! She got almost ALL her right top teeth within one day. She has never really complained about teeth before so i have been one lucky mom to not have experienced the "teething days", but now i can say i've joined the team! She has the toughest time when it comes to sleeping. Her naps are short, she's up in the night, and she has this constant whine that never shuts off. BUT, she's still the sweetest darn thing i've ever laid eyes on. :) Speaking of eyes, notice in this picture she has a black eye! It's her FIRST black eye not induced by surgery or head trauma! lol. She was twirling around and around and lost her balance and pinballed between Seth's leg and the corner of the dresser at our hotel last week...she was so TOUGH she hardly cried at all! She actually looks kinda cute with her little shiner. :)
There's been times the past couple of days i thought i'd fall asleep standing up, or just start to cry for no reason...BUT last night my sweet daughter livened things up a bit! We child proofed all our kitchen cabinets and drawers two nights ago and when Nicci woke up yesterday she was very upset to see she couldn't empty out our cabinets and drag the contents all around the house; but i couldn't contain my smile as i watched her try to open every one and not succeed. Finally we had eliminated 12 places she could get into and we thought we were home free!...until she took her frustration and used it as determination to destroy MORE!!!...Last night our little midget learned how to open all our doors...i seriously wanted to laugh hysterically and cry all at the same time!! As i watched her empty out our coat/shoe closet and walk around opening and shutting all the doors i thought to myself, "No more keeping her out of our bedroom...no more shutting the bathroom doors...No more keeping our shoes nice and organized...No more privacy...Nicci is on the move! AAHHH!"


She is very proud of herself...


After Seth and i got through laughing and discussing our new battle plan i decided to clear my head and do some cross-stitching. Nicci and Seth were playing and i could hear them in the background for a while but then all i heard was "Daaaddy"..."DaaaaDDY!" I got up and rounded the corner to see Nicci patting Seth on the shoulder repeatedly because he had fallen asleep. I went to quickly grab her so that the poor guy could just sleep when i saw the sweetest thing in the entire world...


... Nicci grabbed her blanky and laid down right by her Daddy and said softly, "Daddy...Daddy..." over and over like she was singing him a song. I had to take a picture, it was so tender. It's so amazing how children can make you so tired and absolutely bonkers at times, but at the end of the day they are usually the little angels that put everything in perspective for you, take away all your frustration, and fill you with a joy only the Savior can bring. I love my little family with all my heart, and i would give up years of sleep if it meant being able to witness something this special only for a moment.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post. Nicci is such a little pill lately but you still keep up with her and stay so happy. I am lucky to have the worlds best girls. I love you honey.

Heather said...

I suggest getting teething tablets, if she's still fussy! Those are AMAZING little tablets. I want to say they are homeopathic, and you can find them at walmart.

Cyndi said...

I swear Miss Brandi girl, sometimes I read your blog and I just want to cry. I actually feel better about myself after ready your posts. The other night I read the whole thing straight through from start to finish and I can't begin to tell you of the feelings that swelled inside of me. You are such an amazing woman. I am both proud and honored to know the you of yesterday and to get to know the you of today. I love you girl...so much!

Cyndi said...

I know isn't my mother in law so awesome. She is the sweetest most loving mother in law a girl could ever want. I really got lucky when I married Brent!

Taralee said...

The teething thing STINKS. Brinley had a rough time, but Sage has done a lot better. She's now on like #13. Crazy, but my kids get their teeth pretty early compared to others we know.

Nicci laying next to Seth IS so sweet! Yep, that's what gets us through the hard times :) And you'll have to get the child proof door handles for your kind of handles. They DO have them, so go check em out. That's the key to sanity in my opinion. Now that my 2 older have the child proof stuff figured out it's a little hard at times, but it still works on Sage, so I'm HAPPY!!

Hannie said...

Brandi! This is Hannah B! I'm home and we should do lunch one of these days or go to the temple or something! Give me a call when you can! 858-3848

Karolyn said...

oh man-teething... don't even get me started ;-) She is a cutie though-black eye and all!

Cynthia said...

What a sweet little girl you have. She is adorable. Man you really make me think about everything that I have to be thankful for. Keep posting and good luck with your angel!

Cyndi said...

I..(sniff)..I..(sniff)..I just don't know what to say. A dark haze has come over our fine city. Our boys just tried so hard. What can I say. I must admit defeat. The Patriots are a fine team and they played a great game. I guess I should have been on the bench with you but it is so hard not to be a Charger fan when everything around you has a huge yellow bolt strewn across it. I still remain a Charger fan true and blue but I will come to terms of defeat. You were right, you were so right. How could I have ever doubted your superior strengths in guessing the outcome of a football game. You have become the master and I have become the student. Teach me, oh wise@$$ master! I must learn your ways. Love ya Brandi!

Cyndi said...

By the way there is a dark cloud over San Diego today because it is pouring out rain. Love ya!

Lindsay said...

Nicci is so dang cute! She really sounds like a fun little girl, and she looks so sweet laying down next to her daddy! Opening doors is only the beginning... I hope you will enjoy her terrific two's!

Aly Porter said...

Awww thanks miss Brandi! I love you cuz! :) YOu seriously are the best mom ever! I am sure that there is never a dull moment with little Nicci running around! :) I'm sorry I haven't been the greatest at responding to your posts! Don't worry! I will be better! i LOVE YOU!!!!

Savanna and Billy said...

aww this is so cute. Makes me baby hungry. haha. I love your family. so cute

BrittWilk said...

She DOES look cute with her little shiner! Luckily, kids are pretty resilient... Aaron always like to say that they "bounce". Kind of scary if I didn't know he was a good daddy and didn't "bounce" Emery when I'm not watching. :)

David and Maggi said...

Sounds like you have your hands full. You better have another one to help keep Nicci busy :)

Niels and Susie Jensen said...

She is too cute Brandi! It is hard to hold of on having children when I see such cute ones everywhere! So, Sorry I have taken years to write you back. You are so diligent in writing comments on my blog, I need to be more like you! We were in Vegas for a minute last week because Niels interviewed at UNLV dental school. So we will see if we end up there this fall. That could be fun, right? Good luck keeping up with your munchkin.

Ashley Clark said...

I'm so glad you take pictures of these adorable moments! P.S. You have been tagged!